Re: Best Current Pratice Postgres upgrade 6.5-->7.2

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 02:50 GMT, Henry Hollenberg penned:
> Hello,
>
> I have a database running on potato using postgres 6.5 that I'd like
> to upgrade to Woody running postgres 7.2.
>
> The docs seem to imply that upgrading with this big a jump from 6.5 to
> 7.2 is dangerous.....even if I do it by hand like so:
>
> pg_dump mydatabase > dump.mydatabase destroydb mydatabase upgrade the
> database system to 7.2 createdb mydatabase psql < dump.mydatabase
>
> Can this large jump be made safely?
>
> If not, I don't see any other versions of postgres available for
> debian...so how should it be done in smaller increments?
>
> Do my steps above look reasonable?
>
> Thanks, Henry Hollenberg   hgh@jam.rr.com

I believe the install notes say, somewhere, that it's best to do
incremental jumps, so rather than doing 6.5->7.2 you would do every step
in between.  But my memory may be faulty ...

A few weeks ago, I tried to convert my source install of 7.0 to 7.2, and
even that seemed fraught with difficulty.  To be honest, as I don't have
an immediate need for a database, I ended up putting the conversion
project on the back burner.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.