Re: antivirus recomendation?

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 12:55:46PM -0500 or thereabouts, BruceG wrote:
> > Ah OK, I'm looking for OSS solutions tho. I see what's available in
> > my cache, I just want some recommendations on what people have used
> > available from the Debian Woody download list. If there are options only
> > available to testing or unstable users, than I'd appreciate knowing of a
> > any good product that's NOT commercial/shareware.
> >
> > But, thanks for taking the time to answer.
>
> This mailing list did a great job in helping me set up my mail server. I was
> using stable, but upgraded to testing. I probably should have stayed with
> stable, and just used backports ( for security updates) - but whatever. I'm
> happy.

Yes indeed, I got help here for my Exim issue with secure smtp.
Excellent resource, this list.

> What worked for me is: exim4 for the MTA. Fetchmail for grabbing my POP mail
> from my ISP. Courier-imap (and courier-pop3d) for IMAP and POP support. For
> anti-virus I'm using ClamAV. It didn't pass ALL anti-virus tests, but it's
> doing a good job. The list also had info on rejecting virus mail bfore
> accpeting it via SMTP. I'm also reecting .com, .bat, .exe files (and a bunch
> of others). SWEN hasn't hit me at all. I'm not usng Spam Assassin, so I do
> get an occasional spam. My PC only has 16 meg RAM, 850 meg harddisk and 100
> Mhz processor, so I'll accept the occasional spam for now.

Yeah I'm not really looking for a spam solution, I've used Spamprobe in
the past and was happy with it. Written in C++, so it's quite a bit faster
than SA. :)

> Go here: http://ursine.ca/~baloo/clamd-exiscan.txt for a very good overview.

Excellent, thanks Bruce. Now do you know of any backports for exim4 and
clamd? Speaking of which is there a list of backports sources anywhere?

Gracias, amigo. :)

--
When I was in school, I cheated on my metaphysics exam: I looked into
the soul of the boy sitting next to me.