Re: emacs -nw and emacsclient

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 01:23:56AM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 22:23, Matt Price wrote:

> > That is, I'd like to have something along the lines of
> > "emacsclient -nw" as my default editor.  But as far as I can tell this
> > option isn't available.  Any suggestions?
>
> emacsclient will connect to the first already-running instance of emacs
> it finds. If the only instance of emacs you have running at the moment
> is in an xterm (started via emacs -nw) then emacsclient will just
> connect to it and you can go from there.
>
> Now if what you want is to run a REMOTE emacsclient and have it connect
> to a LOCAL instance of emacs using X forwarding, I don't think it can be
> done. The X forwarding only forwards the DISPLAY. The PROCESS continues
> to run on the machine you're connected to. So you can't have a remote
> emacsclient connect to a LOCAL emacs.

thanks alex --

I think I wasn't quite clear in my original posting.  What I wanted to
do was to be able to call up the existing emacs session into the
terminal that makes the call -- that wat, for instance, if I'm ssh'ing
in to do some mil, my message buffer doesn't appear on some other
terminal I don't have access to.

gnuclient and xemacs, as the next poster suggests, seems to be what Im
lookingfor!

thanks again,
mtt