Re: SVG graphics and mozilla

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:36:30 +0000,
Dave Howorth wrote:

> Mozilla crashes whenever I try to display an SVG graphic :( so
> I'm trying to work out how to display the graphic instead :)
>
> I'm running Woody with mozilla 1.2.1 (Mozilla Debian Package
> 1.2.1-2.bunk - Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US;
> rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021213 Debian/1.2.1-2.bunk).
>
> As far as I can see, SVG is not yet fully supported by mozilla
> natively, even if I went to the bleeding edge.  And there don't
> seem to be any Debian packages at all - a search for svg turns
> up only SVGA-related things.  So it seems I need to look
> elsewhere.  Mozilla says the most popular plugin is that from
> Adobe.  Adobe's offering for Linux seems to be: RedHat Linux
> 7.1 3.0 beta 1 11/2001, which doesn't fill me with expectations
> of a stable product either!
>
> Does anyone know how well this works?  Or have alternative
> suggestions for SVG support?

I don't know about viewing SVG from within your browser
(i.e. embedded viewers).  But there are SVG viewers you can throw
at an SVG saved to disk.  SVG can be viewed by "display" (from
the "imagemagick" package), perhaps your best bet if you're
running Woody.  Sodipodi and sketch are SVG editors, so as a side
effect can view SVG.