Re: migration from RedHat to Debian, general question about Debian (dpkg, kernel, config)

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 15:36, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Valentine Kouznetsov wrote:
> > Question about dpkg:
> > 1) dpkg is great, but I cannot figure out one
> > simple/usefull procedure. Let's assume I install one
> > package and have file /usr/bin/my. Is is possible to
> > figure out using dpkg or similar tool to which package
> > /usr/bin/my belong to. On RedHat I just invoke rpm -qf
> > /usr/bin/my and get back package name.
>
> Fram the man page:
>
> dpkg -L | --listfiles package ...
>          List files installed to your system from package.

dpkg -S /usr/bin/my

is more appropriate for this question

The package dlocate gives the same response from a pre-built database,
so it is faster.

> > 2) Is it possible to check status of installed
> > software, what has been changed from original package,
> > etc. On RedHat it is rpm -V <package>
> >
> Not sure what you are asking here.

Changes from installed version: Install the apt-listchanges package

> > Question about configuration:
> > Where the natural place to put my own scripts while
> > booting to Debian. On RedHat it was /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> > What is equivalent on Debian?
> Just put your script in /etc/init.d/ and symlink it to
> whatever runlevel directories you need (like /etc/rc2.d/)

man update-rc.d

> > Where correctly put aliases for modules, there so many
> > config file for modules on Debian?
> Either in /etc/modules.conf or in a file in /etc/modutils/
> (it depends on your setup).
> > About runlevels, what the meaning of 2,3,4,5 runlevels
> > on Debian. On RedHat 3 is equivalent to 2 on Debian?

All four are identical unless you choose to configure them differently
yourself (update-rc.d again)

     "To show forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and
      thy faithfulness every night."     Psalms 92:2