Re: xfree86 failure: mga_hal missing

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 07:02:44PM -0500, tallison@tacocat.net wrote:
> I have a very annoying problem with my XFree86 set up today.
> I'm trying to get an installation from -testing and selected the
> x-window-server to bring everything in.

I don't have a solution, but just writing to say that maybe it's not the
mga_hal module that is causing your problem.

That module, IIRC, is something you install from the Matrox site.  But,
when I installed it X did not work correctly -- I think it hung on exit
and there was some odd behavior while running.  So, I just deleted the
module and now I get on startup:

  (EE) MGA: Failed to load module "mga_hal" (module does not exist, 0)
  (II) MGA(0): Matrox HAL module not loaded - using builtin mode setup instead

but otherwise X starts runs fine.

> Nov 18 18:55:39 debian modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-226
> Nov 18 18:55:40 debian modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-226
> Nov 18 18:55:40 debian kernel: [drm:drm_init] *ERROR* Cannot initialize
> the agpgart module.

Maybe that's the real problem?

--
Bill Moseley