Re: Trying to get modem to work with Debian

ScruLoose wrote:
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:09:01PM -0500, JAMES MERRITT wrote:

(Please set your linewraps to something between 72 and 80 chars)

I have a US Robotics USR5699B PCI modem and I am trying to get it
installed under Debian Woody.  According to Windows, it is installed
on COM5, IRQ 11.

Under Debian, I had to create the com port as ttyS5, then use
setserial /dev/ttyS5 irq 11.  Then I tried using wvdial and that does
not work, apparently it does not recognize the port.  I don't remember
the exact error messages.  Since I am using KDE, I tried using kppp,
but kpp does not give the choice of /dev/ttyS5.

1.  Will this modem work under Debian or am I wasting my time?

According to these pages, assuming the model number is a match, it doesn't look promising:

http://freewebhosting.hostdepartment.com/g/gromitkc/pci_list.html
http://barmagan.hypermart.net/linux/info/modem_linux.htm

--
Kent