Trying to get modem to work with Debian

Hi all,

I have a US Robotics USR5699B PCI modem and I am trying to get it installed under Debian Woody.  According to Windows, it is installed on COM5, IRQ 11.

Under Debian, I had to create the com port as ttyS5, then use setserial /dev/ttyS5 irq 11.  Then I tried using wvdial and that does not work, apparently it does not recognize the port.  I don't remember the exact error messages.  Since I am using KDE, I tried using kppp, but kpp does not give the choice of /dev/ttyS5.

1.  Will this modem work under Debian or am I wasting my time?
2.  If it will work, how do I get kppp to recognize /dev/ttyS5?  Of more to the point, how do I get this modem to work?

Thanks in advance for any help on this problem.  I would like to move over to Linux as my main OS, if only I can get a modem for internet access.  I knew I should have spent the extra $20 to get the other US Robotics modem that said it was also for Linux, but being unemployed at the moment, I am trying to save money...smile.

James E. Merritt
jamesem_99@yahoo.com
jamesem@email.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Search Smarter - get the new eXact Search Bar for free!
http://www.exactsearchbar.com/