pasting into vi inserts many indents

Hi,
Lately, if I open a file with vi from inside a gnome-terminal and then
select a large chunk of text, (it doesn't matter where, e.g., Mozilla or
the same vi session, both do it), it corrupts the formatting with many
indents.  The pasted output inserts more indents on each line than there
were on the previous line to create a "cascading formatting".  Can someone
point me to how I can stop this?  I know I can fix past problems with
cat file | tr -d '\t' , but how can I stop the bug in the first place?
However, I can't get it to do it now for an example.

Brian

ContagiousDesign!
web . design . software . photo

Brian Rose .  programmer
Stacey Rose . designer
(604)-588-8827 . contagiousdesignATshawDOTca

To email, replace AT & DOT with the symbols.