What is the maximal length of usernames supported by Linux?

Dear all,

is there any restriction in size for the usernames of passwd?

man getpwent

provides the passwd structure

      struct passwd {
              char    *pw_name;       /* user name */
              char    *pw_passwd;     /* user password */
              uid_t   pw_uid;         /* user id */
              gid_t   pw_gid;         /* group id */
              char    *pw_gecos;      /* real name */
              char    *pw_dir;        /* home directory */
              char    *pw_shell;      /* shell program */
      };

thus, I cannot see any real limit of the size of username (pw_name).

Is this true?  Once I heared it was restricted to 8 characters...

OT: does anybody kknow if this holds for Solaris 6,7,8 and above too?

Thanks in advance!

wbr,
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
<http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? -> <http://www.rawip.org> |