Re: Bug #220623: LVM and devfs

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:06:23AM -0500, Sven Heinicke wrote:

| To get te the point, how ho I change an i686 3.0r1 system with
| proposed-updates and the 2.4.22-2-686-smp kernel to be devfs?  I would
| be most happy with pointers to Linux general documentation on how to
| this.

Compile a kernel with the right options and modules.  It's really as
simple as that.

| The story: I was setting up an i686 system with woody that needed a
| driver I was not able to find with kernels shipped with 3.0r1 (the tg3
| driver), so I added proposed-updates to my sources and installed
| 2.4.22-2-686-smp, the rest of the story is described in bug #220623.
| While, as said in the bug description, I did get it working, Patrick
| Caulfield submitted to my bug report that "If you're using devfs and
| LVM then devfs *must* be mounted.".  I tried booting a system with the
| kernel option to mount devfs, but it wasn't happy (I'll post a better
| description of the error tomorrow if wished).

I am using both devfs and lvm.  I've been using devfs ever since I
started using 2.4 kernels (around 2.4.8) and have been using lvm since
last Thanksgiving when I bought a "large" hard drive on sale.

Here are the relevant portions of my set up :

$ uname -a
Linux dman 2.4.22-custom.1 #1 Mon Sep 15 09:26:17 EDT 2003 i686 GNU/Linux

$ grep -i devfs /boot/config-2.4.22-custom.1
CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y
CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT=y
# CONFIG_DEVFS_DEBUG is not set

$ grep -i lvm /boot/config-2.4.22-custom.1
# Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LVM=m

$ dpkg -l lvm\* | grep ^ii
ii  lvm-common     1.5.9.3        The Logical Volume Manager for Linux (common
ii  lvm10          1.0.7-8        The Logical Volume Manager for Linux

I use the 'make-kpkg' command (in the 'kernel-package' package) to
build the kernel.  I obtained the kernel source from the
kernel-source-2.4.22 package.

I have no special boot-time options specified for either devfs or lvm.
(I don't need to because the default for my kernel is to mount devfs
at boot time)

My lvm_mod is loaded automatically loaded when the logical volumes are
mounted (via entries in /etc/fstab).

I recommend focusing on one or the other and get it working by itself
first.  Then add the other into the mix.  (I'd start with devfs,
personally, before doing anything else with devices)

HTH,
-D

--
In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have
told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and