Re: Workspace/desktop switching

Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> writes:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Alex Malinovich wrote:
>
>> I've been seeing a lot of discussions about various WM's lately, and
>> everyone seems to be extremely concerned about easy workspace switching.
>> I'm just wondering what exactly everyone uses workspaces for? Every once
>> in a while, if I'm doing two things at once that each require 5 windows
>> a piece, I'll use two desktops/workspaces, but I don't think I've ever
>> really gone over that. That leads me to believe that there's some
>> unrealized benefit that I'm missing out on. So what do you use your
>> workspaces for, and why are they so important?

Answering the OP: I never minimize windows, and I never have windows
overlap if I can help it.  But there are things I want full-screen; on
my laptop, this is a single Emacs window, on desktop machines with
real monitors it's an xterm running ssh next to an Emacs running on
that machine.  :-)  It's also a Web browser or Gnucash.  But using
workspaces (in Openbox, for me) makes it easy to switch what I'm
doing: F2 will always bring up my local IM system, F3 mail, F4 Web.

To the responder:

> - i'd login into 100 machines if i wanted to type passwd to each
> 	and i will never use "passwd-less login".. if the hacker cracks 1
> 	server than they can propagate to the rest of your boxes

Maybe you should get a better login system.  I think most public-key
systems are designed such that the private key never actually passes
over the network; even using ssh to a compromised machine, the remote
machine couldn't grab your private key.  Similarly, Kerberos is
explicitly designed so that compromised machines can't get your
password, and a single compromised service (that doesn't have root)
isn't even enough to pretend to be you to other services on the same
machine.

	-- Abra Mitchell