Re: Workspace/desktop switching

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:19:41 -0600
Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> wrote:

Hi

> I've been seeing a lot of discussions about various WM's lately, and
> everyone seems to be extremely concerned about easy workspace
> switching. I'm just wondering what exactly everyone uses workspaces
> for? Every once in a while, if I'm doing two things at once that each
> require 5 windows a piece, I'll use two desktops/workspaces, but I
> don't think I've ever really gone over that. That leads me to believe
> that there's some unrealized benefit that I'm missing out on. So what
> do you use your workspaces for, and why are they so important?

I'm using waimea, which has 9 desktops by default. They can easily be
switched, by moving the mouse out of the current desktop. I sometimes
use up to 7-8 workspaces: one for mail client (fullscreen), one for IRC,
on for XMMS and one for Mozilla. The other fill up with aterms and
gvims. The idea is to basically have one workspace for one task.

Waimea has a neat dockapp called wampager, which shows you on which
dekstop you are. Using always the same desktop for predefined programms
(mail client, irc, xmms, mozilla) makes it easy to remember where your
programms are.

Cheers,
Serge