Re: matrox G400 driver missing

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 12:01, Tom Allison wrote:
> I was trying to get my x-window-server installed last night and ran
> into a seemingly dumb problem.
>
> I have a minimalist installation with sources.list have both stable
> and testing entries.
>
> I used tasksel to select X-Window system and nothing else (no
> Desktop).
>
> Answered all the questions.....
> selected all the modules except for ttf (or whatevers at the very
> bottom).
>
> root->startx worked, but threw an error (EE) about not being able to
> find a mga_hal driver.
> user->startx failed on this missing mga_hal driver error.

Hm, weird, you really shouldn't need it. I have an G450, I get the same
error, but no problems. mga_hal is the proprietary driver, and if you
want to be Saint in the Church of Emacs, you shouldn't have it... ;-)

So, I would suspect something else is wrong... Could you post the whole
log? (I often dump it on an URL to save bandwidth, or perhaps trim some
things if it is large).

Best,

Kjetil
--