matrox G400 driver missing

I was trying to get my x-window-server installed last night and ran into a seemingly dumb problem.

I have a minimalist installation with sources.list have both stable and testing entries.

I used tasksel to select X-Window system and nothing else (no Desktop).

Answered all the questions.....
selected all the modules except for ttf (or whatevers at the very bottom).

root->startx worked, but threw an error (EE) about not being able to find a mga_hal driver.
user->startx failed on this missing mga_hal driver error.

checked modconf -- agpgart and mga drivers are loaded.

I decided I should try to find this mga_hal driver on matrox.com.
Found some beta 3.0 something binary that has an mga_hal and mga_hal_drv in it. installed it.

same error.

using 'xfree86 --configure' created a slightly different XF86Config-4 file, but it did not solve this problem.

help?