How to set global configurations for GDM?

Hi, everyone
  I have a problem about the gdm login method and wonder if anyone can
give me some information about it. :-)

  I'm used to use a text login method, that is, when I need X I will
type `startx' to start it. And, I have some global environment
viariables in /etc/profile. For example, the $PATH, the $LOCALE, and
some other settings.

  Recently, I began to use the GDM login method. However, I found gdm
does not read /etc/profile at all. I read the manual of gdm and put all
my settings to /etc/X11/gdm/Init/Default and
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSessions/Default, but it does not work :-(

  Some friends told me to put global settings into /etc/environment and
personal ones into ~/.gnomerc. But, the /etc/environment is not a bash
script file and PATH=$PATH:... is not  intepreted correctly.

  Anyone can give some help about this problem. I'll be very very
thankful for your help.

^_^

--
Hongzheng Wang