Re: How to start a user process on boot?

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:45:41 +0000 (UTC), Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 20031116163955.GA680@intac.com>,
> Anita Lewis  <ajlewis2@intac.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Beside using start-stop-daemon, su or sudo, you could just use cron. As
>>> the user run "crontab -e" and use @reboot as time argument.
>>>

>>> Yours sincerely,
>>>   Alexander
>>
>>I tried doing this with @reboot in all the time arguments and in just the
>>minutes.  When I reboot, neither way works.  How exactly do I put @reboot in
>>the crontab?  Could you give me an example, please?
>>
>>Here is what I have currently:
>>
>>@reboot *       *       *       *    fahstart
>>
>>'fahstart' is what I normally type to get Folding@Home going. It's a little
>>script in ~/bin.
>
> Something like this:
>
>=-=-=-=-=
>
> # Set the path
> PATH=/home/ajlewis2/bin:$PATH
>
> # Run fahstart at boot time.
> @reboot		fahstart
>
>=-=-=-=-=
> Mike.

Here is what I have in crontab.  The funny thing is that when I put all
asterisks in for the time and day, Folding starts when the clock ticks one
minute.  I waited several minutes after rebooting and it did not start. Is
it possible that @reboot is an alias or something?

10      17      *       *       *    fetchmail -d 300
                                     PATH=/home/ajlewis2/bin:$PATH
@reboot                              fahstart

Thanks,
Anita