Re: Just curious about system LOAD

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:38:54PM +0100, Paul Sommer wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> this is nor really a problem, but I'm curious about what the system load
> exactly is.
>
> Please share your wisdom with me :-)
>
> Paul

I was wondering about the load average the other day and googled across
the following link:

http://www.hawaga.org.uk/text/loadavg.html

I would like to amplify this thread and ask, are there any utilities
available to show which processes are "waiting in the run queue?" (I
don't know the preferred way to say this ... perhaps even "ready to
run.") Occasionally my Debian box gets hammered, but top shows minimal
cpu usage, and I'd like to know the processes responsible.

Thanks.

Graeme