Re: network/name resolution problems

Kent West wrote:

Dan Davison wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 at 17:07 GMT, Dan Davison penned:
I am trying to make an ethernet connection to a university network.
The network settings I am using work under windows on my other
partition, and worked on another machine running debian with a 2.2.xx
kernel.

Is this DHCP or a static IP?

I can do DHCP, I would like to do that if it's the easiest. To that end I ran dpkg-reconfigure etherconf and followed the nice blue menus for people
like me, choosing DHCP. It seemed to think it had done its job, and
after that, ifconfig gave me:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0A:E6:BD:B9:DA UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 RX bytes:4690750 (4.4 MiB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
         Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe800
lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
         UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:1648 (1.6 KiB) TX bytes:1648 (1.6 KiB)

I just spent all day fighting a similar problem with a Broadcom nic (b44 module) on a new Dell Dimension 2400. It was working fine a couple of days ago, then I compiled a kernel to try to get the modem to work (turns out it wasn't necessary; I was using the HCF driver instead of the HSF driver from linuxant.com - winmodem are just nasty!). Anyhoo, after booting into my new kernel, the nic stopped getting a DHCP address. It tried, but always failed. I could assign it a static address and restart the network, and it looked like it worked, but the network was unreachable. I even booted back into my original stock 2.4.22-686 kernel and had the same problems there. Even Knoppix stopped seeing the network (I'm not sure it ever did, but it didn't now). I tried the mii-diag tool and a 2.4.18 kernel and lots of reboots and everything I could think of.

Finally I had the thought - hey, kill the power. So I powered down and pulled the plug for 30 seconds or so. When I powered back up, the network worked perfectly. Go figure.

Correction: it worked with a static IP. When I switched back to DHCP, my problems returned. Then I couldn't switch back to static again without powering down.

So I left it at static, and now am doing an apt-get upgrade, and find that I'm getting LOTs of connection problems. So apparently this nic and/or the driver isn't quite up to snuff. (Again, this is for the Broadcom nic, so may not have any relevance for you.)

--
Kent