Re: network/name resolution problems

Dan Davison <davison@uchicago.edu> writes:

> I am trying to make an ethernet connection to a university network.

...from your other message, using DHCP.  What does
/etc/network/interfaces say?  It should have a stanza that looks
more-or-less like

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

(If you have something radically different, you might edit the file
directly using your favorite text editor, rather than etherconf.)

> I am running kernel 2.4.22.

Should be fine.  (Debian kernel, or custom-built?  Which Debian
release?)

>> ping 128.135.12.7 [harper's IP address]
> PING 128.135.12.7 (128.135.12.7): 56 data bytes
> ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
> ping: write 128.135.12.7 64 chars, ret = -1

All of this, along with your ifconfig output, is consistent with you
not having an IP address, which either means that you don't have a
DHCP client installed at all (look for a 'dhclient', 'dhcp-client',
'dhcp3-client', or maybe 'pump' package) or it's failing.  When I run
'ifup' from the command line, I see the full output of the DHCP
client; is there anything informative there?  (Is it trying and
failing, or dying immediately?)

(And if you've built your own kernel, there are a couple of kernel
options that need to be enabled, namely the CONFIG_PACKET and
CONFIG_FILTER ("Packet socket" and "socket filtering") options; check
that those are enabled.  More information, on my system, in
/usr/share/doc/dhcp3-client/README.gz.  But those options should be
enabled if you're using a prebuilt kernel on unstable or testing.)

> and by the way
>> ifdown eth0
> cat: /var/run/dhclient.pid: No such file or directory
> Does that matter?

Suggests that the DHCP client either didn't start or started and died,
rather than started successfully but failed to get an IP address.

	-- Abra Mitchell