Re: Could not load OpenGL library

On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 07:15, Nathan wrote:
> Sometime in the last few days my OpenGL (or SDL, I'm not sure) has
> stopped working. I use OpenGL primarily for gaming, so not having it
> hasn't killed me. The error message I get when starting up Unreal
> Tournament (and UT 2003) is:
>
> Opening SDL viewport.
> Bound to SDLGLDrv.so
> Loaded render device class.
> Initializing SDLGLDrv...
> binding libGL.so.1
> appError called:
> Could not load OpenGL library
>
> This is odd because both Quake3 and glxgears run normally at the same
> frame rates as before. I am using debian sid, with XFree86 4.2.1-14. I
> have the latest drivers from nVidia, and I haven't changed them since UT
> stopped working.  If anyone knows what packages are needed for UT2003 to
> work correctly, could they tell me?

I seem to hit this problem each time a dist-upgrade is done that
upgrades any of the graphics components. As far as I can work out, the
nvidia drivers exercise a shotgun approach to installing GLX drivers, by
overwriting everything with it's own drivers and the dist-upgrade
overwrites those.

Reinstalling the nVidia drivers seems to fix it.

If the SDL-GL drivers are missing, apt-get install libsage-0.1 should
fix that.

- Edward