Could not load OpenGL library

Sometime in the last few days my OpenGL (or SDL, I'm not sure) has
stopped working. I use OpenGL primarily for gaming, so not having it
hasn't killed me. The error message I get when starting up Unreal
Tournament (and UT 2003) is:

Opening SDL viewport.
Bound to SDLGLDrv.so
Loaded render device class.
Initializing SDLGLDrv...
binding libGL.so.1
appError called:
Could not load OpenGL library

This is odd because both Quake3 and glxgears run normally at the same
frame rates as before. I am using debian sid, with XFree86 4.2.1-14. I
have the latest drivers from nVidia, and I haven't changed them since UT
stopped working.  If anyone knows what packages are needed for UT2003 to
work correctly, could they tell me?

Please CC me as I'm not on the list

Thanks

Nathan Merritt