Re: gagging - dual-boot - yup - Re: freelance sysadmining - other thread went bonkers

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 00:22:41 -0800 (PST),
Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> wrote in message
<[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.1031116001846.7531A-100000@Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com>:

> hi ya arnt
>
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>
> > > havent had any problem with dual boots ... it's always worked for
> > > me, boot one or the other ... ( never running both at the same
> > > time )
> > > 	- dual boots are good ... good way to get "extra charges"
> > > 	tacked onto their (multiple) system costs
> >
> > ..you forget one important thing:  Microsoft can _easily_ update
> > their Wintendos to detect and destroy data on dual boots, and
> > then blame you and Vikki.  They too, have access to our sources.
> >
> > ..and, _their_ code on your dual boots is closed, and usually
> > updated at Microsofts discretion, and their tradition _is_ using
> > their assets to cover up their actions.  "Your call."  ;-)
>
> yeah.... but i make sure i can boot the machine off floppy
> or cdrom ... and i gladly and happily let ms do its magic..
>
> and when they screw it up ... i boot off fd or cdrom, rerun lilo/grub
> and dual boot is back ...
>
> -- never go online w/o being able to boot into single user
>    and boot off fd/cdrom and standalone system ...etc..etc..
>
> and if they dont have root passwd, tis unlikely for them to
> screw up the box, other than an automated ms updates
> 	- if someone leave *linux on autoupdate ...
> 	that i'm a hands off ... "i didnt touch it"
> 	and whatever they did is what broke it
>
> 	- i watch where the finger goes before i sign
> 	the dotted lines and look for them checks
> 	and lots of checklist items too of what's oka
> 	and whats not acceptable ..

..I'm not talking trivial bootloader code, I'm talking theft, abuse,
and sabotage of "your clients business data".  And it may be
sneaked in, to help let them keep track of backed up data.

..be _creatively_ paranoid, if you wanna try stay ahead of this shit.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: