Re: gagging - dual-boot - yup - Re: freelance sysadmining - other thread went bonkers

hi ya arnt

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> > havent had any problem with dual boots ... it's always worked for me,
> > boot one or the other ... ( never running both at the same time )
> > 	- dual boots are good ... good way to get "extra charges"
> > 	tacked onto their (multiple) system costs
>
> ..you forget one important thing:  Microsoft can _easily_ update
> their Wintendos to detect and destroy data on dual boots, and
> then blame you and Vikki.  They too, have access to our sources.
>
> ..and, _their_ code on your dual boots is closed, and usually
> updated at Microsofts discretion, and their tradition _is_ using
> their assets to cover up their actions.  "Your call."  ;-)

yeah.... but i make sure i can boot the machine off floppy
or cdrom ... and i gladly and happily let ms do its magic..

and when they screw it up ... i boot off fd or cdrom, rerun lilo/grub
and dual boot is back ...

-- never go online w/o being able to boot into single user
   and boot off fd/cdrom and standalone system ...etc..etc..

and if they dont have root passwd, tis unlikely for them to
screw up the box, other than an automated ms updates
	- if someone leave *linux on autoupdate ...
	that i'm a hands off ... "i didnt touch it"
	and whatever they did is what broke it

	- i watch where the finger goes before i sign
	the dotted lines and look for them checks
	and lots of checklist items too of what's oka
	and whats not acceptable ..

c ya
alvin