Debugging IMAP

I'm trying to look at the commands mutt is sending to my imap server.
Specifically, I want to see why when I use ~h to look for a reply-to
header mutt is fetching the entire message.

The last of these three lines is causing mutt to fetch the entire
message, instead of just the message header:

color index       yellow  black "~x hank\.org"   # References
color index       green black "~i hank\.org"     # Message ID
color index       blue  black "~h In-Reply-To:.*hank\.org"

>From the mutt list it seems that mutt should not be doing that.

So I'd like to monitor what imap requests mutt is making when fetching
the message.

Any suggestions on how to capture these tranactions?  tcpdump?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org