Re: Opium [was: Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong -- [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]]

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 06:05:35AM +0000, ben wrote:

> there is definitely a huge gap between how one imagines something to be
> and to witness the actual event of the same. you're absolutely right,
> and to shock people into civility might not be a bad idea; one which
> might be the reason why the return of dead troops to dover air base is
> off-limits to the press, at the moment, for fear of shocking the
> domestic audience, in that manner. i'm old enough to remember when the
> press had the courage to record the return of the remains of those who
> died in vietnam. that was also a reality check.

That would be a bad idea.

I'm currently reading John Keegan's "The History of War" -- he's a
military historian, he was recently on C-SPAN and Charlie Rose.
He's got a new book out, "Intelligence in War."

There's also a new documentary with Robert Macnamara coming out.

The history of why and how men butcher one another is absolutely
fascinating.  The recurring question is: is violence intrinsic to man or
contingent?  It's easy to be glib about it.  Fact is war has been here for
millenia.  Better to be well-informed.

Norman Podhoretz said only ex-communists can talk intelligently about
anti-communism.  My ex-wife also told me to listen to old people,
they're probably gonna tell something true.