Re: Debian for enterprise

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:24:52 -0600
Jesse Meyer <meyer@btinet.net> wrote:

[snip]

> =================================[CON]===============================
> == Debian-stable (the branch you want to be using for servers) tends
> to be several months to a year behind the bleeding edge.  This bothers
> some people.  For a server, I'd rather go with a tested solution then
> the bleeding edge, but others differ.

[more snippage]

excellent points, and sorry about the snippage. i just wanted to add
that stable also very adequately accommodates compiling bleeding edge
source, at least on two apps i've compiled over the last two days, dillo
and sylpheed, which run quite fine at the moment; so it's not that huge
a con to run stable.

i've also seen repeated reference to stable as the recommended
development platform, for obvious reasons.

i run it on a quirky-ass persnickety sony laptop, a pcg-z505, renowned
for being just plain difficult, but stable (woody) lives up to its
appellage as such.

ben

and, now, back to the rest of the program: