Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 12:41:17PM -0600, Tim Kelley wrote:

> > People cost a ton -- $100g + 30% for benefits.  I use round numbers:
> > in my 9 years since college, the "average joe" has gone from
> > expecting roughly $45K, then to $60K, now kids out of school expect
> > $75K.
>
> Really?  I don't know where you're from, but computer jobs (of any kind)
> are basically paying absolute shit right now.  You'll be damn lucky to
> make $50k these days as an experienced admin, let alone someone green
> out of college.  Hell, you'd be lucky to find a steady job at all, most

Computer jobs divide up into "Infastructure" and "Developer".  "Admin"
falls into the "Infrastructure" category and it never paid as well.  On
Windows they call them "Reboot monkeys".  "Unix Admin" used to pay well
but that is going out the window.  There are higher species of
"Infrastructure" -- folks who plan networks, vs. folks who merely
operate them.  I know that will not be well received as most people
here are Admins but it is true.

I'm a "Developer" -- even though I started with VB and Access and while
I know C well I am not very effective with it -- businesses find what I
do useful enough to the point that all my peer groups makes $100K now.
(I consider myself a good developer but not extrordinary: there are so
many smart people.)  Actually the average is closer to $120K now; and
it's rapidly approaching $150K for the high achievers.

Stop adminning if you want the big bucks.  I know I sound like an
arrogant asshole (and I am) but I am merely relating the facts: it
doesn't pay as well.