Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

On Monday 10 November 2003 10:24 pm, Tom wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:11:04PM -0500, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> > > Paying the occasional "sysadmin bill" might well come out to less
> > > than what these people spend on the software itself now.
>
> People cost a ton -- $100g + 30% for benefits.  I use round numbers:
> in my 9 years since college, the "average joe" has gone from
> expecting roughly $45K, then to $60K, now kids out of school expect
> $75K.

Really?  I don't know where you're from, but computer jobs (of any kind)
are basically paying absolute shit right now.  You'll be damn lucky to
make $50k these days as an experienced admin, let alone someone green
out of college.  Hell, you'd be lucky to find a steady job at all, most
are contract crap for six moths or less.  Don't know about programming
jobs, but that seems even worse.  There are some 75k+ jobs, but they're
hard to find and positions don't come up often.

> I know it sucks, but you really can make a case for replacing people
> with dumb software -- people are amazingly expensive to maintain :-)

Microsoft, for all their bad qualities, has at least done one good
thing: they've proven that this simlpy cannot be done.