Re: ssh-agent

on Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 06:27:40PM +0000, Geoff Thurman (geoffthur@ntlworld.com) wrote:
> On Saturday 08 November 2003 3:17 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:

<snipped>

> > ssh is highly valuable because it provides a secure, encrypted,
> > authenticated, non-spoofable means of issueing commands or data
> > between hosts.  It's used not just for shells and commands but for
> > file transfers in the form of scp, sftp, and rsync.  See also the
> > fish:// protocol (implemented in lftp, for example).  ssh replaces
> > telnet and rsh, for the most part transparently, both of which are
> > highly insecure protocols.
> >
> > I'd strongly recommend you leave ssh installed.  Could be most
> > useful.
> >

> Thanks for this, but unless I actually use ssh (or anything else) surely
> it's best to remove it?

See above.

It's such a fundamentally useful piece of networking infrastructure, and
a lifesaver when needed, that I'd leave it on a system.  Downside risk
is very low, and utility is very high, even if used very infrequently.

Note that I just about came to blows on IRC support arguing the contrary
point over another utility today -- however that was a tool I rarely use
and frequently have trouble with.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.
		        SCO vs IBM Linux lawsuit info:  http://sco.iwethey.org