Re: ssh-agent

On Friday 07 November 2003 3:52 am, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:39:58PM +0000, Geoff Thurman wrote:
> > Forgive me if this is cretinous beyond compare, but I am confused.
> > I am on a standalone machine, and never use SSH, and yet there is
> > an SSH-agent in my /tmp. Is this normal?
>
> I believe that Debian's default X session scripts run your X session
> inside an ssh-agent. It shouldn't cause any kind of problem,
> security-related or otherwise; it's just there if you want it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Colin Watson
> [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

Thank you. This is a great relief, particularly coming, as it does, from
such an authoritative source. I now understand the man pages a bit
better, too. I have still removed the ssh package though, on the basis
that I don't use it and can always put it back later if and when I need
it.

Thanks again,

Geoff