Re: freelance sysadmining - other thread went bonkers

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:44:02 -0500,
vikki@neuromancer.homelinux.com (Vikki Roemer) wrote in message
<[🔎] 20031114224402.GM2718@neuromancer.homelinux.com>:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 03:27:17AM +0100, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:47:41 -0800 (PST),
> >
> > ..sure, but Vikki also plans to sell customized boxes.
> > On these, I would sell Sarge.
> > And charge extra for anything else.
>
> Hmm, not sure if I should mention this, but, what the hell-- just keep
> in mind this is just purely opinion and totally unofficial.
>
> I want to see about getting a preload agreement with Libranet, to put
> Libranet Linux on the boxen.  That way, they'll run a Debian-based
> distro that is designed to be a desktop system.  Unless the Debian
> Desktop project is further along than I think it is?

..face it, the worst thing they can do to you, and get away with,
is tell you "No way!".  ;-)

> If I couldn't get that preload agreement, I'd put together my own
> install of Debian, with some different defaults-- for example, I'd set
> up the default mail server as postfix, rather than exim. *shrug*
> That's my personal preferrence.

..pro and cons, you know your way around your own setup, and your
clients needs to trust you.  So it boils down to you telling your client
"I'm more comfortable with this here setup than that over there", and
you'll probably be able to show them your setup buys them a cheaper
service while making you earn more, because your are familiar with
"my own" setup and can be more productive.

..when you have book records of paid taxes.  Go slow, listen to your gut
feeling, it's smarter than yourself.  ;-)

..and, learn to say "no way!".  An honest "_No!_" up front, earns you
respect for your spine and integrity.  Everything else, you can learn.

> If the customer *insisted* on (*gag*) RH or Mandrake or something, I
> would definitely charge extra.

..  ;-)

..you found those dope head 'n war crime rants any useful?  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: