Re: Debian for enterprise

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 11:17:29AM -0700, Robert Soricone wrote:
> A computer network, that is currently using RedHat, is interested in migrating
> to another distribution.  Preferably, by April 30 2004.  If the group were to
> consider moving to Debian, what in-house work would need to be performed that
> was previously being done by the RH engineers?  The FAI package can duplicate
> the functionality of kickstart, but security is of primary concern.  I need
> some specifics to argue in favor of adopting Debian, and what exactly it would
> entail.  Can you point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Rob

Here is an argument for community based as opposed to business model
based distributions:

Red Hat is abandoning its old business model because that model wasn't
working for its investors. You (and everyone else) can expect other
distributions that have a business model basis to also fail for the
same reasons.  Whatever those reasons are, they were not peculiar to
Red Hat.  If you want to avoid going through the transition from one
distribution to another, again, you should choose a community based
distribution this time.  By doing so, you avoid the inevitable 'churn'
in the business marketplace.

Which community based distribution should you choose? I suggest you
consider one to which your firm(s) feel(s) confortable making a
contribution. I hope you will select Debian.

Just my $.02

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com