Re: Stock 2.4.16 kernel, initrd and ext3 [SOLVED]

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 03:25:42PM -0500, David Z Maze wrote:
> ScruLoose <scruloose+debuser@eastlink.ca> writes:
>
> > I've been wanting to switch from ext2 to ext3 on this machine, including
> > the root filesystem.
> >
> > I'm using the stock Debian 2.4.16-i686 kernel, which (according to
> > /boot/config-2.4.16-686) has ext3 support _as a module_...
>
> 2.4.*16*?  That's really old; even woody shipped with a 2.4.18 kernel
> (though not as the default kernel).

Well, yeah...
But, see, I found pre-compiled alsa modules for 2.4.16, and I set them
up and it worked. Updating the kernel on this machine has stayed pretty
low on the to-do list ever since.

> > Now, my understanding is that this kernel uses initrd, and thus it'll be
> > okay for me to switch my root fs to ext3 (it'll load initrd first,
> > notice that it needs ext3, ins the mod, mount the root partition, then
> > carry on booting)...
> >
> > 1)  confirm/deny?
>
> That sounds correct.  (An initrd-based kernel will probably have
> almost nothing built in as a driver, and everything will be as
> modules, which get loaded from the initrd.)

That's what I suspected, from looking at the config file.

> With ext3 you also have the bonus that the filesystem is still a
> mostly-valid ext2 filesystem.  And all of the modern rescue media I've
> seen (not the woody installer, but things like SysRescueCD and
> Knoppix) support ext3.  So you shouldn't be able to hose yourself too
> badly doing this.  :-)

Well, it seems to have worked fine.
Thanks for the help (or reassurance, as the case may be).

	Cheers!
--