Stock 2.4.16 kernel, initrd and ext3

Howdy.

I've been wanting to switch from ext2 to ext3 on this machine, including
the root filesystem.

I'm using the stock Debian 2.4.16-i686 kernel, which (according to
/boot/config-2.4.16-686) has ext3 support _as a module_...

Now, my understanding is that this kernel uses initrd, and thus it'll be
okay for me to switch my root fs to ext3 (it'll load initrd first,
notice that it needs ext3, ins the mod, mount the root partition, then
carry on booting)...

1)  confirm/deny?

2)  Do I need to modconf the ext3 module in order for this to work?

3)  Once I've done tune2fs -j and tweaked my fstab, are there any other
    steps I'm missing before I reboot?

4)  How do I find out for myself whether my current kernel is using
    initrd?

Normally I'd just try it and see if it worked, but leaving the system
un-bootable and having to dig out the rescue disk is such a pain...

	Cheers!
--