OT: Drugs (was Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong --)

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 02:38:12PM -0800, Tom wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 04:04:57PM -0500, ScruLoose wrote:

> > Regarding any one drug as being just the same as any other makes no more
> > sense than prescribing morphine for an infection or penicillin for a
> > migraine.
>
> Yeah, but I find it useful to concede to the anti-drug people the fact
> that pot, chocolate, alcohol, and heroin only differ in degree, not
> qualitatively.  Face it: hard-core potheads get lazy and stupid.
>
> Of course they're not the *same*, but it helps to counterargue exactly
> what you're worried about: the slippery slope, if you go ahead and
> concede that abusing any substance (pot in particular) is harmful.

I don't find it useful to concede to anyone that various
{illegal|recreational} drugs differ only in degree. It's simply not
true.
Uppers, downers, hallucinogens... These things differ _very_much_
qualitatively.  They're based on _wildly_ different chemical compounds
that have _wildly_ different effects on brain chemistry, cognitive
process, and behaviour.
They also come with wildly different dangers (also in terms of kind, not
just degree).

This doesn't prevent me from conceding that most or all mind-altering
substances have their dangers and need to be treated with respect.
I just prefer to do so without conceding points that are outright false.

> The only drug I feel is qualitatively different is crack.  I have seen
> friends end up on the street because of it.  As far as I'm concerned, if
> you've done it once, I still love you but you are a totally failed and
> useless human being from that point until the day you die.  It just
> totally fucks up your brain chemistry.
>
> Meth is almost as bad.

Now you're just contradicting yourself.  You're also handing me the
point I've been trying to make on a platter.
After claiming that it's blatant hypocrisy to treat different drugs
differently, now you're saying "except for this one.  Oh, and this, too."
As it happens, you're backpedalling from an indefensible position into
territory that makes sense, so I say "keep it up"...
Backpedal just a little farther and we'll be in perfect agreement.  ;-)

	Cheers!
--