Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong -- [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:58:41PM -0500, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> Yikes.  I'm starting to think the FooAdmin part of Foosoft is a bad idea...
> :(
> Now that you have thoroughly discouraged me from remote sysadmining, how
> about if I start small and locally with home users within a certain radius
> (50 miles?)?

Sure, you can make a buck or two like that.  But not a paycheck.
In 1993-1995, I was in my young 20s, and I have a couple of stories:

1. A couple of executives paid $50/hour for me to set up Quicken on
their wives's laptops.  (They were actually members of the Springs
family, of Springs mills [textiles] wealth).  I actually did this as
part of job.

2. One of my wierdest stories was getting stoned and installing Quicken
and setting up online banking at the local district attorney's house.
(He was a young guy, and I was helping somebody else out).  It was
incredbily strange circumstances but absolutely true.

3. I used to help out struggling friends with their 'pooters and in
return have their wives would fix a nice pot roast dinner and we'd eat.
For a young bachelor, this was killer diller.  Or they'd just get me
high :-)

4. My brother in law paid me $25/hour to install some Macintosh
computers in elementary & kindergarten classrooms, and hook them up to
the internet.  That was totally wierd, going back to those little desks
and water fountains.  A girl I knew from high school was the teacher.
Wierd! (but fun).

4. I learned long, long ago that you cannot be Santa Claus with family
or friends or even small-time clients: as everyone here has said, they
will bug the shit out of you and you will eventually stop being friends
or will be upset with your clients.  Keep your expectations small and
you can make some pocket money and have some great life experiences.