Re: wireless LAN in place of existing cabled one

Op do 13-11-2003, om 02:12 schreef BruceG:

<snip>

> For the wireless bridge to work, it would need to connect to a WAP (wireless
> access point). Since your Server is upstairs, you could do something like
> this (assuming your cable or DSL is dropped off with an Ethernet connection,
> not USB):
>
> DSL line in to providers DSL Router/modem (with an Ethernet port, not USB!)
>    ---> Ethernet port to a wireless router - Linksys BEFW11S4 costs $69.99
> at Amazon.com. Check out the Broadband forums. Linksys forum is here:
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/equip,16
>             The router has 2 "connections". An Ethernet port to your DSL
> modem
>             A wireless connection for your home LAN
>             Linksys WET11 upstairs. $84.88 at Amazon.com
>
>              The WET11 bridge has an Ethernet port for your PC, or connect
> it to a hub or switch to serve multiple PCs.
>
> A couple notes: The Wireless router can serve multiple wireless clients. You
> can connect a couple wireless bridges to it, or a wireless bridge and also
> support laptops with wireless cards. My WAP54G supports a bridge and a
> cardbus card. The wireless stuff I support a church has 2 WET11 bridges
> connected, a total of 5 PCs bridged in. It can support additional wireless
> clients.
>
> 802.11B is 10 MBPS. 802.11G can go to 54MBPS. You may be limited by
> distance. I figure since my DSL connection is 256Meg or so - 10 Meg is okay
> on the LAN side, although it can get slow doing backups over wireless.
>
> I'm sure D-Link can do the same using the a wireless router downstairs and a
> wireless bridge upstairs.

If i understand correctly, i could install a wireless router just behind
the cable modem, plug in such a wireless bridge in eth0 of my server,
and keep the rest of the network like it is namely: eth1 of the server
connected to a hub and my pc ( pc1 ) also connected to the hub. This
would provide internet access to both the server and pc1. Right?
The eth0 would off course not receive a public ip anymore although that
would be cool if it could be done.
And this wouldn't require me to config anything in linux then?

If i want to make sure that all future traffic (laptops or pc not in the
same room as the hub) goes via the hub, could i plug in a wireless
access point in the hub and redirect all traffic via that access point
instead of directly through the router?

Benedict