wireless LAN in place of existing cabled one

Hi,

my current LAN looks like this:

cable ----- eth0 (public ip) -server
modem                                eth1 (192.168.0.1)

                                           hub

                                           pc 1

My server runs dhcp, apache, exim, fetchmail, webmail and so on.
Now the wife is fed up with the cable running through our living room
up the stairs to my room where the server, the hub and pc1 are.
Now we (she) wants to go wireless. I asked a local dealer and he
works with D-Link equipment more specifically the Di-714P+ or
the Di-614+. This would be the future setup:

cablemodem --- router --wireless-- server -- hub -- pc 1

                            -----wireless-- clients

I have some questions about this:

1. The server acts as a gateway now where eth0 is an ip from my
isp and eth1 is a fixed internal ip where a DHCP daemon is listening
to distribute ip's to the clients (currently pc1 but 1 other pc will
follow
and will be placed downstairs). Now i think i can still use the server
as gateway with the new setup but i will not be able to secure the
LAN with the firewall script that runs on it, correct?
I mean any incoming traffic can immediately go to the wireless clients
without going through the server first, right?
Is there anyway i can solve this? I thought about putting the server
between the cablemodem and the router to accomplish this.

2. I saw that there a 2 big differences between the Di-714P+ and the
 Di-614+: the Di-714P+ has printer server support (i don't care) and
the built in firewall stuff has SPI (Stateful packet inspection). Is
this
the same as what you would get with iptables? The 614 seems to
lack this.

3. Is  the network traffic encrypted by default?

4. What kernel options do i have to activate to be able to use a
wireless usb card (DWL-120+) . Usb is already compiled in. I'm
not even sure these will function under Linux. Any place i can
find out?

Thanks
Benedict