Re: Woody Soundblaster Config Trouble

Hello

max von seibold (<maxvonseibold@hotmail.com>) wrote:

> After installing Woody on my desktop can anyone advise on the correct
> setup for a Soundblaster card.
>
> At the moment I am getting these errors when KDE starts:-
>
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
>
> The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-3
>
> Is this something which would be better and more simpler resolved by
> installing ALSA ?

Looks like you don't have any driver loaded for your card. Which one you
need depends on the model of your card. SB Live! Cards use the emu10k1
module, and I think some older SB PCI cards use the es1371 module.
There is also a sb module which is for original SB cards. Try to load
the driver with modprobe. Also make sure you are member of the audio
group, otherwise the next error you will get is "permission denied". If
you want to load the driver automatically, add a line like this to
/etc/modutils/aliases (or create some new file in /etc/modutils):

alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1 (if this is the right driver)

and run update-modules

or add the driver to /etc/modules, manually or by using modconf.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen