Re: dvd ripping tools

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 17:23, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> I need to (legimately) rip a few 30 sec clips from some DVD's where I
> truly own the rights.  The 30 sec clips will be used on our website
> where we advertise the DVD's for sale (bicycling workouts -
> spinervals.com for those interested).
>
> Could someone please suggest:
>
> 1.  a tool for ripping the DVD

mencoder (part of mplayer. Under debian has its own package) is quite
good. iirc the package is in the merilat.fr repository:
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main
You should look a bit though at how to properly rip the dvd as the
options can really affect the size and quallity. A sample of the options
I use:
mencoder dvd://1 -o <file>.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=966:vhq:vqmin=2:vlelim=-4:vcelim=9:lumi_mask=0.05:dark_mask=0.01:vpass=1 -vf crop=690:428:4:74,scale=512:288 -ss hh:mm:ss -endpos hh:mm:ss -info name=<value>:artist=<value>:srcform=dvd

this will incode into divx format.
notice, vbitrate is the size per second (quallity vs size ), crop
enables cropping the image since its usually not the full screen size.
Look at the cropdetect option to detect the values. scale is the final
resolution. This affects quality, but not the size of the video. The
interaction with vbitrate is important. -ss is the starting point for
the reaping. endpos is the ending point.
> 2.  a tool for browsing and then editing the ripped portions into 30 sec
> clips

I think avidemux does this but I am not sure.
I looked quite a bit for good programs under linux to do this but
couldn't find any. Would be happy to hear of such.