Re: dvd ripping tools

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 09:23, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> I need to (legimately) rip a few 30 sec clips from some DVD's where I
> truly own the rights.  The 30 sec clips will be used on our website
> where we advertise the DVD's for sale (bicycling workouts -
> spinervals.com for those interested).
>
> Could someone please suggest:

"apt-cache search" is your friend.

> 1.  a tool for ripping the DVD

$ apt-cache search dvd rip|sort
acidrip - ripping and encoding DVD tool using mplayer and mencoder
dvdbackup - Tool to rip DVD's from the command line
jigdo-file - Download Debian CD images from any Debian mirror
k3b - A sophisticated KDE cd burning application
mozilla-plugin-vlc - multimedia plugin for Mozilla based on VLC
ripmake - an automatic command line ripping makefile generator for \
          transcode
subtitleripper - DVD Subtitle Ripper for Linux
video-dvdrip - Perl front end for transcode
video-dvdrip-doc - Documentation for dvd::rip

For transcode, mplayer, mencoder, etc, you'll need to add this this
to your sources.list:
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main

> 2.  a tool for browsing and then editing the ripped portions into 30 sec
> clips

For once the DVDs have been ripped:

$ apt-cache search mpeg edit|sort
libmjpegtools-dev - MJPEG video capture/editting/playback MPEG encoding
libmjpegtools0 - MJPEG video capture/editting/playback MPEG encoding
libmp3-info-perl - Perl MP3::Info - Manipulate / fetch info from MP3 \
                   audio files.
linuxvideostudio - MJPEG-tools GTK graphical user interface
mjpegtools - MJPEG video capture/editting/playback MPEG encoding
mpgtx - Toolbox to manipulate MPEG files (video, system, and audio)
viewmol - A graphical front end for computational chemistry programs.
xmms-mpg123-ja - mpeg123 plugin supported Japanese encodings for xmms
zinf - Extensible, cross-platform audio player

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

484,246 sq mi (1,254,197 sq km) are needed for 6 billion people
to live, 4 persons per lot, in lots that are 60'x150' (a nice
suburban US plot).
That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri.
Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom.