Re: 2.4.22-3 panic in woody / ide bug?

Hello

Nelson E. Castillo (<nelson@politecnica.edu.co>) wrote:

> Abstract : Trying to avoid kernel panic.
>
> I recompiled the latest package kernel-source-2.4.22(3) (sid) with
> same config of the latest kernel-image2.4.22-686. It runs
> in a woody machine without problems, but in the other machine
> it crashes with a kernel panic before mounting the root
> file system. This second machine is running woody, and was
> potato once. It was dist-upgraded and has been running fine for
> more than half a year.
>
> The first one has a SCSI disk -Dell Server-
>   (works)
> The other one has an IDE disk -Dell WS-
>   (does not work... crashes at boot).
>

> I would like to track down this error, because I need a new
> kernel (for the QoS HTB Scheduler).
>
> This problem is similar to the one reported in the Debian bug
> 213192, which was solved with a patch (IDE-probing related) that
> was the only change from kernel-source-2.4.22-2 to
> kernel-source-2.4.22-3, so I wonder if they're related... I might be
> doing something wrong as well...
>
> The boot messages are (copied by hand):
> cant open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
> NET4: Unix ...
> modprobe: moprobe: Can't load module block-major-3
> mount: /dev2/root is not a valid block device
>  -- (last 2 messages are shown again twice)
> pivot_root: no such file or directory
> /sbin/init: cannot open /dev/xconsole: no such file
> kernel panic: Attempted to kill init
>
> Tried:
>
> 1) Recompile with ext3 in the kernel (not as a module)

It is not a file system problem (or better: not yet). The support for
IDE disks is missing. If you want to compile the driver into the
kernel, change the following from "M" to "Y":

ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support  --->
        ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support
        IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices  --->
                Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
                Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--