Re: problem in screen resolution at 1024*768

Hello

Rafael Quintanilla (<rafael_quintanilla_perez@yahoo.es>) wrote:

> I recently installed debian from a Knoppix 3.3
> catalan. The problem is that I want to have a 1024*768
> resolution (BTW my monitor is a 15" SyncMaster 551S,
> samsung, with a recommeded refresh vertical rate of 85
> Hz). I obtain only a 800x600 resolution (see attached
> file XF86Config-4_old.txt). To solve the problem, and
> as I am not used to modifying this file by hand (I am
> mostly a Mandrake user, but would like to become a
> Debianer as I see this distribution as more long-term
> stable) I had the following idea: I booted my system
> with the knoppix CD and the following options:
>
> knoppix screen=1024x768 vsync=85
>
> This results in the screen resolution I wanted,
> together with the vertical refresh rate recommended.
> I copied the new file (see attached file
> XF86Config-4_new.txt) to my installed knoppix system,
> but I still get the 800x600 resolution.
>
> Can anyone help me? I cannot see why the resolution is
> still 800x600. Should I delete all the references to
> the other resolutions?

> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device     "Card0"
>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
>         DefaultColorDepth 16
>         [...]
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Depth     32
>                 Modes "800x600" "640x480"
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection

The resolution you want is not listed. The easiest way to enable it
would be to open the config file with a text editor and change

Modes "800x600" "640x480"

Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

or alternatively use dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen