Re: window manager recomendation

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:34:19 +0000
Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@bylands.dur.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 03:51:10AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Hoping this won't turn into a flame war, I am looking for
> > recommendations for a window manager. I tried quiet a few but none
> > seem to fit the bill yet.
> > I need a window manager with the following
> > - As lite as possible on memory (I heavily stress my laptop so I
> > don't have much to spare).
> > - Multiple desktops
> > - A pop up menu application (don't need a panel) that has support
> > for both the debian menus and a custom menu.
> > - Hotkeys (mainly for maximize/minimize/desktop switch)
> > - multiple desktops
>
> PWM, or ION (pwm, ion, ion-devel packages)

As I suggested before, Icewm.
Apt-get update
Apt-get install icewm-themes iceme icepref

Will give you so much configurability with next to no drive space taken
up.
That's if you need the fastest leanest window manager around.
Windowmaker is good too.
If you want a desktop environment instead, XFce3 or XFce4, but they're
heavier on resources.
Regards,

David.