Re: window manager recomendation

Hi,

* Burkhard Woelfel <versuchsanstalt@gmx.de> [031113 13:14]:

> On Thursday 13 November 2003 03:18, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 03:51:10AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > > Hoping this won't turn into a flame war, I am looking for
> > > recommendations for a window manager.
>
> > Blackbox, Openbox, or Fluxbox will do all of the above, I use Blackbox.
>
> All the *box WMs are fairly similar. If you are new to them, I suggest
> Fluxbox, as it handles keystroke shortcuts by itself. As far as I know, at
> least Blackbox uses a keyboard handler application for that, which you would
> need to set up. There are themes available for all of them.

Openbox3 handles keybinding by itself. It is highly customisable and
has great "pack" and "grow" window move and resize features. It is
also possible to do basically everything with the keyboard.  It is not
in Debian yet, but .debs can be found at
http://www.hetzi.at/thomas/debian.

This WM was mentioned by a poster on this list a month or so ago. At
the time I was using sawfish, but was getting sick of the bloat and
considering switching back to fvwm. I'm _so_ glad I tried openbox3.

I have it set up to do all the things you wanted except use the Debian
menus. I've not tried.

Anyway, HTH,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.0-test9-looxt93c1 i686 GNU/Linux