Re: kde in "testing" ?

stan <stanb@panix.com> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 03:28:30PM -0900, Greg Madden wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday 09 November 2003 02:55 pm, stan wrote:

> > > Calculating Upgrade... Done
> > > The following packages will be REMOVED:
> > >   ark kab karm kate kcalc kcharselect kchart kcoloredit kcron kdebase
> > > kdebase-libs kdepasswd kdf kdict kdm kedit kfind kformula kfract
> > > kghostview khexedit kiconedit kit kivio kjots kmail knewsticker knode
> > > knotes koffice koffice-libs konqueror konsole kontour korn koshell
> > > kpackage kpaint kpm kpresenter kruler kscreensaver ksirc ksnapshot
> > > kspread ksysv ktimer kugar kuser kview kword libarts libkdenetwork1
> > > libkmid libkonq3 libvorbis0 secpolicy xmmsarts
> > >
> > > That looks pretty bad to me.
> > >
> > > Am I mistaken?
> >
> > It depends, do you have KDE 2.x installed, or some other backport ? If
> > so KDE 3 went into testing about a week ago and will replace any
> > existing KDE install. I don't know why it wants to remove as opposed to
> > upgrade, not enough info.
>
> Pure box stock Debain, no odd backports, or anything.
>
> What addtioanl info can I provide?

I see almost the same thing (not quite the same list of packages).
The only package `apt-get dist-upgrade` wanted to update was libarts1
which replaces libarts, but along with that it wanted to remove (almost)
everything related to kde.

Trying to `apt-get install libarts1` it just wanted to remove libarts
(which is quite an obvious thing to do), kbattleship and libkmid.

Finding that libarts1-dev replaces libkmid, I then tried `apt-get
install libarts1 libarts1-dev`, that wanted to remove libqt3-dev which
has been replaced by libqt3-compat-headers (which are
suggested/recommended by that apt-get command).

I finally decided to actually do an `apt-get install libarts1
libarts1-dev libqt3-compat-headers`, which resulted in the removal of
kbattleship.

Then `apt-get dist-upgrade` wanted to upgrade libprm4 to a version that
conflicts with kpackage, I allowed that too.

As far as I can tell the problems preventing an upgrade of kde is:

- koffice (e.g. kchart) is waiting for glibc.
- kpm has been replaced by ksysguard, which depends on ksysguardd which
  in turn depends on the non-existant libsensors-1debian1
- kdemultiedia (e.g. kscd) is just a mess (0 days old, RC-bugs, lots of
  packages not yet compiled on non-i386).
- kdeartwork (e.g. kscreensaver) is out of date on arm and mips.
- kdepim (karm, knotes and korganizer) is out of date on mips.
- kfract only exists in stable (+security)

In the 'probably not a problem' category, are a few packages that have
been replaced:
- kenolaba replaces kabalone
- kdelibs-data replaces several packages (e.g. kontour)
- libkdenetwork2-dev replaces libkdenetwork1
- libkonq4 replaces libkonq3
The 'probably' is due to the fact that I can't tell if these packages
would be installed if the above problems were solved.

In the 'I don't really know how this should be' category, I wonder if
libkdegames1 should replace libkdegames.

.Henrik

--
Henrik Christian Grove
grove@sslug.dk