Re: G550 and 3D acceleration

Piers Kittel wrote:
Hello Roberto;

 > nForce2 GART support is in 2.4.22 and newer kernels.  The nVidia
 > drivers have been modified (via a patch) to compile against 2.5.x and
 > 2.6.x kernels.  If you want I can email you the patch, or you can
 > Goolge for it, or search the threads at nforcershq.com.

Aha. Got a bit confused there for a bit, as I've got the 2.4.20 kernel patched to 2.4.21, couldn't see the option in "make menuconfig", then realised you're talking about the .22 not the .21 kernel! Doh. Compiling the 2.4.22 kernel at the moment, although can't reboot the computer as am at work and SSH'ing into my PC - can't recompile network card drivers without network card support ;) But will sort it out tonight. Hopefully that'll work now.

Hope it works out.

 > modeversions.h is only present after you make
 > [config|oldconfig|xconfig] and then 'make dep'

Aha. But with the 2.6.0 kernel you don't have to do "make dep" - if I want modversions.h should I do a "make dep" or best get a patch for the nVidia drivers? Might stick with the 2.4.22 kernel as it does have support for the NForce2 chipset.

Not sure on the 2.6 kernel.  I run it on my laptop, but it doesn't have
anything exotic that I use (I don't use the winmodem anymore).  So I
just compile and install at one shteo.

 > Also, what is in the Xfree86 log?

Which part exactly do you need to see? If the whole lot, what's the best way to get it over?

Post it on the web. :-)

Thanks very much for your help so far :)

Cheers - Piers

-Roberto