Re: mailfilter bug?

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:26:31AM +0800, csj wrote:
> Before I file a bug report, I'd like to confirm the behavior I
> describe below.
>
> I have in my my ~/.mailfilterrc a DENY rule for "^Subject:.*Test"
> and ALLOW rules for "marssociety" and "marssocietynewsletter":
>
> $ grep -Ei 'test|marssociety' ~/.mailfilterrc
> DENY=^Subject:.*Test
> ALLOW=^To:.*marssocietynewsletter
> ALLOW=^Reply-To:.*marssociety
> ALLOW=^Subject:.*marssociety
>
> I found out this morning that an email with the word "Contest" in
> the Subject was deleted by mailfilter (according to my log).  The
> email also had "[marssocietynewsletter]" in the Subject and I
> suspect, given the format of previous communications, also
> "marssociety" in the Reply-To.  The email therefore should have
> passed two of my ALLOW rules.
>
> Shouldn't the ALLOW rule (allow all emails with "marssociety" in
> the Subject) take precedence over the DENY rule (delete all
> emails containing with the word or word part "test")?

man mailfilterrc says:

"A message that matches any ALLOW rules will not be filtered or
deleted."

So it does look like a bug.

You could test it by setting up a POP3 server on your own machine,
putting mails with the headers you describe in the mailbox, and
pointing mailfilter at it to see what happens.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons