Re: G550 and 3D acceleration

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:57:56PM -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:

> > Bill,  Fair enough, but it doesn't work on both heads, not just one.
>
> You should get accelerated OGL on both heads.

I try and take good notes setting things up, but all I have is "doesn't
work on secondary head".  My memory is that I saw a reason why it
doesn't work on the secondary head but my Googling isn't finding that
right now.  Oh, maybe it's because I'm using Xinerama.

ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/archive/linux/2002/lnx200notes.txt

   After starting X, there should be a "direct rendering enabled"
   message in the X server startup log. Please note that DRI isn't
   enabled if you're using the Xinerama extension. You may want to
   keep two "XF86Config" files on hand -- one for DRI and the other
   for DualHead.

Hum, that just talks about DRI, not OpenGL.

On my main head I get about 200fps with glxgears.  On the second head
the window goes black and my machine gets very slow.

BTW -- I also get:

 (EE) MGA: Failed to load module "mga_hal" (module does not exist, 0)

My guess is I upgraded my kernel at one point and didn't move over that
module.  I thought that was for Matrox's PowerDesk, which I don't have
installed.

   The HAL library is not required for basic DualHead support
   (without a DVI monitor)"

Which is my case.

--
Bill Moseley